Tennis Duo Triumphs; Golfers in Semifinals

Alex Haegler and Brooks Harris took the New England Intercollegiate doubles championship yesterday, while golfers Ted Cooney and Brock Stokes advanced to the semifinals in the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Tourney at New Haven. The sailing team finished fourth in the New England ISA Dinghy Championship at New London Saturday and yesterday.

Winning their final match in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2, Haegler and Harris displayed fine teamwork as they kept their Williams opponents, Wally Jensen and Bill Cullen, on the defensive. "Harris's serve was tremendous," praised Williams tennis coach Charlie Chaffee, "and Haegler is about the finest player I've ever seen in doubles.

Cooney Shoots Low Score

Cooney and Stokes led the qualifying round on the Yale University golf course Saturday with 36 hole medal scores of 144 and 146 respectively. Jerry Fehr, 1953 champion from Yale, qualified with a 147.

In the first round of match play, Sunday morning, Cooney defeated Dave Stotz of Cornell, one up, and Stokes downed Don Purple of Dartmouth, 7 and 6. Cooney continued his winning ways in the afternoon to avenge his only previous defeat this season by defeating Ben Murphy of Boston College, 3 and 2. Stokes advanced by eliminating the Elis' Pete Nisselson, 3 and 2.