Soccer Gains Major Letter Consideration

Athletic Group Recommends Stricter Awarding of Letters

By Lewis M. Steel

The Undergraduate Athletic Council has recommended that varsity soccer become a major sport. "I am reasonably sure the Faculty Committee on Athletics will approve the change," Frank H. White '55, Chairman of the Council, said last night.

Before passing the proposal to elevate the sport, the Council accepted a motion requiring players to participate for an average of ten minutes in each of the season's games before winning a letter. Last season a man could get his "H" if he was on the field six times during intercollegiate contests.

Although the recommendations were made at a regularly scheduled meeting, a member of the Council said that Yale's recent decision to raise virtually all sports, including soccer, to major status had some effect on the vote.

Only one month ago the Undergraduate Council recommended that the University retain its present major-minor status and stated the criteria for classification.

Major Sport Criteria

The standards included training rules, expected attendance at organized practice, amount of time involved, number of competitors for positions, the University's relation to the sport, and a set minimum of intercollegiate competition. An Undergraduate Council member said that the soccer team had met the requirements of major sports.

"This was an important vote and a unanimous recommendation would have had a great effect on the faculty's decision," Donald M. Felt, assistant director of athletics, said last night. The Council passed the measure by 5 to 3.