Reporter Traces Conservative Split

The University's conservative clubs will gain an even wider audience for their factional quarrels when an article entitled "Young Conservatives at Old Harvard," by James Reichley 1G appears in the June 16 issue of The Reporter.

Dealing mainly with the student leaders of the clubs, Reichley's article traces the origins of the dispute between the Conservative League and the New Conservative Club, and attempts to analyze their differences. Reichley ran into difficulty, however, when Frederick M. Morris '55, president of the League, admitted that he couldn't figure out what the differences were.

Persistent rumors that the League is compiling information on subversive faculty members were verified when Morris told Reichley the club was "getting the goods on these guys," and had "quite a few radicals spotted." Morris didn't know what the League would do with the information, however. "We're just gathering it," he said.

Appearing in the same issue will be an article on "The New Conservatism: Politics of Nostalgia," by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, professor of History.