Prescott Dorms Viewed As Temporary Solution

Six Housemasters last night agreed that use of two large Prescott Street apartment houses for student dormitories would relieve present overcrowding but would definitely not take the place of a new House.

All were uncertain as to whether upperclassmen, freshmen, or both will move to quarters behind the Union after the University evicts the present tenants on June 30, 1956.

"Temporary things have a strange way of growing permanent," stated John H. Finley '25, Master of Eliot House, "and one looks with some feat on this change. I do feel that the question of Harvard's remote future has got to be faced. In other words, this change would not alter the continued need for another House."

Master of Adams House, Reuben A. Brower, declared that he was "delighted" with the plans. "Everybody, of course, wants a new House," Brower said, "but this seems like something that will definitely relieve the pressure for the time being."

"Just having the immediate pressure off us," Brower added, "will make such a difference. The time and space gained will be invaluable, but I do not think that this will slow up efforts to build a new House."

Leigh Hoadley, Master of Leverett House, said that the action "is certainly just a stop-gap measure to relieve the present terrific overcrowding. I have no worry at all that this would pinch-hit for another House."

"We certainly could take 30 men out of Leverett without any difficulty," Hoadley added. "If you're behind the eight ball, you've got to get out any way you can, and anything done is all for the good," he declared.

Gordon M. Fair, Master of Dunster House, said that he bad "every confidence that the administration would continue to work for a new House." Fair added that for Dunster men. Prescott Street is not much farther then Claverly.

Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, was "very curious about exactly what will be done, but this is definitely not a new House."

Ronald M. Ferry, Master of Winthrop House, stated that "this would make life a little easier, but it is no permanent solution."