Advocate Will Construct New South St. Building

University Offers Site to Literary Magazine Following Successful Fund-Raising Drive

By Andrew W. Bingham

Architects for the Advocate will come to Cambridge on Saturday to approve the final site for the literary magazine's new building, Edward Reynolds '15, the administrative Vice-President, said yesterday.

The University offered to grant the use the lot, located next to the HAA at 21 South Street, to the Advocate when the trustees of the magazine recently finished raising enough money for the construction of a nine or ten room building.

Samuel H. Ordway Jr. '21, chairman of the trustees, said last night that he was "happy and gratified that the College has made this offer. I have no doubt that the lot will be acceptable."

Construction of the new building will start, at the earliest, late this summer. Occupants of the present structure at the South St. address will not have to leave until their lease with the University expires, July 1.

One Year Drive

The fund-raising drive for the new building started almost a year ago, according to Advocate president Eugene S. Dodd '56, when he went to New York and told the trustees of the "urgent need for better facilities." Almost all the money came from graduate editors, although the undergraduate board aided the fund by sponsoring two readings here by T. S. Eliot and e.e. cumming.

Ordway said the trustees approached the University last spring concerning possibilities for obtaining land. At that time the administration said it could make no definite agreement until the Advocate raised the money.

Other Possible Site

At that time the trustees had hoped to obtain the land at 45 Winthrop St., opposite the I.A.B., Ordway said. But the odd' shape of this site and its "short term availability" make the South St. lot "more desirable," he noted.

Although the "heartwarming response" of the Advocate alumni has raised enough money for the construction of the building, Ordway said that more funds are needed for the furnishing and maintenance of the structure.

The building will probably contain six small offices, a club room, library, bar, and kitchen, Dodd said. One alumnus, he noted, has already given enough mahogany to panel the entire club room.