High Korean Naval Officials Visit College

An impressive segment of the high command of the Republic of Korea's navy descended on Harvard yesterday for an unannounced informal visit. Vice Admiral Joung Kuk Mo, Korean Chief of Naval Operations (left) and Commodore Lee III Jung, Commander in Chief of the Fleet, were among the officers who took a quick look at the University.

After a brief review of the Harvard NROTC unit the Koreans were whisked through the catacombs of Widener, paused briefly for a glance at Houghton, and registered their names in the guest book at the Marshal's office.

The officers are in this country to supervise the transfer of a pair of destroyer escorts to the Korean Navy, the ex-U.S.S. Muir and Sutton, which are currently being fitted out at the U.S. Navy Yard in Boston.

Korean crews are also in the area to receive training in the use of these escort vessels, used extensively in World War II. The group was conducted around the University by Captain J. F. Gallaher, professor of Naval Science, and other U.S. naval officers.

The visiting Korean officers were the guests at a luncheon earlier with Rear Adm. Snackenburg, Commandant of the Frist Naval District.