Rutgers Confirms Margarita Asked To Head Orange

Harry Rockefeller, Director of Athletics at Rutgers, last night confirmed earlier reports that the Crimson's freshman football coach, Bob Margarita, may be head coach for the Orange next fall.

"He is interested in us, and we are interested in him," Rockefeller said when contacted in New Brunswick, N.J. He said that Margarita's application would be considered by a committee at Rutgers. The final decision will be made before Feb. 1.

Rockefeller also said that he plans to meet with Margarita in New York in "the very near future. He is a very capable young man," Rockefeller noted, "and his personal record has been outstanding."

Margarita, who left his top position at Georgetown to take over the Yardlings in 1951, played for the Chicago Bears after starring at Brown.

The chief consideration in the selection of the new mentor, according to Rockefeller, will be ability to bring out talent in Rutgers players. The Orange was left without a coach at the end of last season when Harvey Harmson resigned.

In addition to Margarita, the Boston Globe indicated that Harold Knopf of Rhode Island is also under consideration. Other reports list Joseph Coviello of Memorial High School, West New York, N.J. and Clary Anderson of Montclair High, Montclair, N.J. as possible replacements.