College, 'Cliffe Tuition to Rise $200 in 1956-7

Third Rise in Eight Years

By Stephen R. Barnett

Tuition at the College will rise from $800 to $1000 for the academic year 1956-57, Dean Bundy announced yesterday. Undergraduates at both Harvard and Radcliffe will be affected by the increase.

At the same time the three Graduate Schools that operate from the Arts and Sciences Faculty will also increase their tuitions. Charges at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Public Administration, and the School of Education will all go from $700 to $800 a year.

This will be the College's third tuition increase in eight years and the fourth since 1929, when the charge stood at $400 a year. Next fall's boost will put Harvard's tuition at approximately the same level as Yale's and Princeton's.

In announcing the increase Bundy emphasized that the College will compensate by expanding its financial aid program. "No individual now at Harvard will be required to withdraw as a result of hardship incurred in trying to meet the increased costs," he said.

Bundy explained that the tuition boost is due to the increasing costs of maintaining College standards and to the Administration's attempt to enhance the financial position of Faculty members. "These factors will result in a sizeable operating deficit for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for this current academic year," Bundy said.

The $4,000,000 grant that the University recently received from the Ford Foundation cannot prevent the tuition increase, Bundy continued. He explained that the money is "mainly for increases in faculty salaries," and that "it will allow us to do about one-fourth of what we believe to be urgently necessary in this one area."

Bundy did not say in just what way the Ford money would be used to aid the Faculty. He denied that there is a specific relationship between the new $1000-a-year tuition and the $1000-a-year grant that the Administration is reportedly considering as a "fringe benefit" to all Faculty members who have children in college.

The new tuition cost will be divided up in the same way as the present one in regard to individual courses, Bundy said.

Bundy also indicated that the College's tuition may in the future go even higher. "I wish We could say that we see an end to the problem of our finances in this new tuition increase," he said.

"Indeed, a strong case could be made for a larger increase even now," he added.