RETARDED RECESS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In view of the fact that over three quarters of the student body at Harvard College seek summer employment, I would like to publicly deplore the present, antiquated school calendar. For those of our ilk who depend on summer jobs for financing their educations, this is a serious matter.

Student in this university are dismissed for summer recess from one to three weeks later than their fellow job competitors from other colleges in the New England area. Students residing in other parts of the country must in addition sacrifice several extra days of job hunting in traveling home. By the time they arrive, the lads from Polkadello State Teachers who got out in May are holding down all the jobs.

Many relatively high paying jobs in construction and factories are given on a first come, first serve basis. Students looking for jobs after the first of June have a hard time getting served. If the summer recess began in the middle of May, the Harvard unemployed would not be handicapped in the race for the better paying summer jobs. School could then begin earlier in September. Since many summer jobs end after Labor Day, and since many college students quit their jobs for tax reasons before the summer is over, this arrangement would be more advantageous to most students. Also higher wages during the summer would mean greater financial independence for the student and consequently less strain on the scholarship and loan funds.

Harvard has a very sympathetic and cooperative Financial Aid Center and Student Employment Office. It would be most desirable and beneficial if those organizations would help pressure for a revision of the academic year. It is also hopefully suggested that the CRIMSON will consider campaigning for this much needed reform in the school calendar. Jim Gregg '57