Wharton Takes 880 in B.A.A. Meet; Relay Team Beats Yale, Princeton

Despite several disappointments, the Crimson entries in the Boston Athletic Association Meet made a good showing Saturday evening in the Boston Garden.

Possibly the greatest disappointment was the poor showing of hurdler Joel Cohen, who lost in the semi-final of the trials. He had been expected to place in the finals.

Cohen was almost even with Manhattan's Lou Knight, the heat's eventual winner, when he tripped and fell at the last hurdle. In spite of this mishap, Cohen picked himself up and finished second, but his time was too slow to qualify for the finals.

Compensating for this defeat, however, was the brilliant victory of Dick Wharton in the Bill Bingham 880. Wharton took the lead on the first lap and was never threatened, as he raced to a 30-yard final margin over runner-up Bob Schaller of Yale. His winning time of 1:56.4 is excellent indoor half-mile time.

Victory in Mile Relay

The other Crimson win came in the mile relay, as the varsity quartet defeated Yale and Princeton for the second consecutive meet. This time they also disposed of Colgate, which placed third behind Yale, but ahead of Princeton.

Mike Robertson, the leadoff man for the varsity, gained a slight lead, to which Jim Cairns added. Number three man, sophomore French Anderson, held the lead against Princeton's Gabe Markinsohn, and anchor man Wharton had little trouble nailing down the victory. The winning time, 3:22.2, compares favorably with the varsity's winning time in the K. of C. Meet earlier this month.

The two-mile relay team, which had been expected to endanger the Harvard record in this meet, hardly lived up to its expectations, and placed third to Yale and Boston University. Although Otis Gates and Ken Wilson gave the varsity a small lead, Phil Williams and anchor Cairns were unable to hold off the Elis, whose winning time, 7:53.5, was 4.5 seconds under the Crimson record.

De Kiewet Places Fourth

Another bright spot for Harvard was the unexpected showing of freshman John De Kiewet, who tied for fourth in the high jump with a leap of 6 feet, one inch. De Kiewet, who stands 6 feet, 6 inches tall, came out for the Yardling team only a few weeks ago.

The freshman mile-relay team was the victim of an unfortunate accident when Dave Rosenthal, protecting a lead which had been given him by leadoff man Bill Gillen, fell near the end of his lap. He lost his balance as a result of elbowing and pushing which took place on the turns. Although Lee Barnes and Dave Gordon made up part of the deficit, the Yardlings still lost by 15 yards.