Support for Ike, Adlai Even Here, 'Times' Reports

Survey Finds Less Spirit, More Though Than in 1952

Students here are evenly divided between President Eisenhower and Adlai E. Stevenson, the New York Times reported yesterday. The Times added that although the intense partisanship of 1952 is gone, students here are keenly debating the issues in this campaign.

This relaxed, more thoughtful attitude prevails in most of the colleges covered by the survey. Students are "looking deeper" into questions such as foreign policy, the hydrogen bomb, and civil rights than they did in 1952. The excitement of that campaign has disappeared, possibly because the personalities introduced four years ago are no longer new to the political scene.

The report estimated that 65 per cent of Yale's undergraduates favor Eisenhower, although they were described as bipartisan in their ability to create demonstrations. They booed Vice-President Nixon last Thursday and they staged a "near riot" when Stevenson appeared there Oct. 6.

Columbia students are heavily for Stevenson, the reports said, and their interest in the campaign is high.

At Princeton, campaign buttons and informal debates are everywhere, although there is little formal political activity. The survey does not indicate which candidate is stronger there.

The majority of New York University students favor Stevenson. A recent poll shows 52.2 per cent for the Democratic candidate, 35.1 percent for Eisenhower, and 12.7 per cent undecided.

City College of New York is also a Democratic stronghold this year, where there are four student groups canvassing door-to-door for Stevenson-Kefauver support.

The CRIMSON will conduct its own University-wide tabulation on Wednesday to test the accuracy of the New York Times poll of college election sentiment. Seventy-five hundred copies of a special poll-seeking information about individual Presidential preferences, areas of residence, and academic concentration--will be distributed in the University dining halls and at Radcliffe, the Law School, the Business School, and Harkness Commons.

Other groups sponsoring the poll include representative student political clubs, the Radcliffe News, and the Harbus News at the Business School.