Tech Crushes Soccer Varsity, 4-2; Weak Crimson Backfield Collapses

By Jerome A. Chadwick

The Crimson defense crumbled again yesterday and M.I.T. scored three quick goals in the third period to hand the varsity soccer team its fourth straight defeat, 4 to 2, on Briggs Field. Center forward Tom Boffett scored three of the four goals for the winners.

The Crimson dominated offensive play through the first period, but weakened in the second. The third quarter was a Crimson nightmare, and the squad could do nothing right. A half-hearted rally in the final stanza produced a goal, but fell far short of even tightening the contest.

Fullbacks Weak

The varsity fullbacks played poorly, and when pressed consistently missed tackles and allowed the M.I.T. line to set up scoring opportunities. Halfback play was no better; the midfielders often lagged behind in enemy territory while M.I.T. was threatening to score.

Line play alone was near competence, although passing was frequently ragged, and playmaking generally poor. Very few shots were taken; these were usually straight at Tech goalie Rodolfo Segovia.

Tech Goes Ahead

Boffett put Tech ahead, 1 to 0, on a head-in from a corner kick at 18:20. Two minutes later Crimson inside right Jim Shue took a pass from Magowan after a mixup in front of the M.I.T. goal to tie the contest. Charlie MacVeagh, previously out with a sprained ankle, replaced Tony Oberschall shortly before the period ended.

The Crimson renewed the attack in the second quarter, and M.I.T. declined to follow the ball out, so it remained in Tech territory much of the period. The Crimson continued with good passing and dribbling, but few plays developed.

Tech Scoring Spree

Then came the barrage. Herb Johnson started the Tech splurge with a beautiful head-in on a corner kick by Subin Banhansupat at 3:05 of the third period. Four and a half minutes later, Boffet took a loose ball, dribbled past the entire Crimson defense, and then punched the ball in the left corner out of goalie Elliot Finkelstein's reach. At 13:00, Boffet again scored unassisted after recovering a blocked shot, this time against Jim Perkins, in for Finkelstein.