Banning the H-Bomb

When, in 1944-45, the United States perfected the first atomic bomb, few people realized how the importance of nuclear power would increase in the succeeding ten years. In those ten years, the power available from a nuclear explosion increased several hundred times; and the problem of radioactive residue from the bomb became more important than that of the power of the bomb itself.

The most troublesome fact about this new problem is that no one is really certain of the exact danger from the bomb's radio-active fall-out. The United States Atomic Energy Commission lists a minimum safety figure for radioactive materials which is ten times higher than that of several other reputable scientific organizations. Unfortunately, any such figure can be based only on estimates, since radioactivity often results in long term genetic effects rather than in immediate physical ones.

One thing, however, is certain. Too much radioactivity is disastrous to animal life. It is clear that the United States is in no position to play with nuclear weapons when no one is certain of the exact safety factor. The wisest course of action under these uncertain circumstances is to ban the testing of the high-powered hydrogen bombs which are the really significant producers of radiation hazard.

Such a moratorium would show the world that the United States' desire for peace is more than a meaningless mass of words. It would be a concrete gesture for an abandoning of bombtesting and possibly for a distinct turn towards developing the atom for peace, and would raise the United States in the estimation of those countries who view her as something considerably less than a world-peace symbol.

Russia has stated that she will cooperate on such a bomb-moratorium if the United States is willing. Many government officials claim that it would be disastrous, in light of past Russian behavior, to agree to such a proposal. However, it appears that if the United States and Russia are ever going to get along together in the world, someone will have to make the first active gesture. America could do this by declaring a two-year trial moratorium which would test Russia's sincerity and reassure the rest of the world of America's good will.

Since any H-bomb testing by one nation is detectable by another, violations of the moratorium would be immediately evident to all the nations involved. In any case, it is doubtful if a nation would gain by breaking the moratorium, since the power of the H-bomb is so great that it appears to have reached a practical power-limit.

Finally, the development of an intercontinental ballistic with an H-bomb warhead depends more upon the perfection of missile techniques than on H-bomb development. This should not be considered a deterrent to a bomb moratorium.

Ever since the discovery of the atomic bomb, the world has lived in an increasing fear of the devastation which could result from an atomic war or the hazards introduced by testing programs. America is in a position to take the first step away from this age of uneasiness. Considerations arising from fear, which appear to hinder the United States, are trivial in comparison with the contribution which this country can and should make towards a peaceful world.