Council Committee Will Restudy Own 'Ill-Advised' Food Report

The chairman of the Student Council's Food Committee, Theodore O. Moskowitz '58, yesterday described as "ill advised on some points," the committee's report to the Council last week.

The report urged recommendations to the University Dining Halls that "professional criteria be established for all food preparers," and that an investigation be made into "the great possibility of deadwood on the kitchen staff."

Lack of Qualified Applicants

Both Nicholai F. Wessell, Associate Director of Personnel, and William A. Heaman, Manager of Dining Halls, said that University standards for hiring of ktichen employees are higher than standards in most hotels and restaurants, and that the desperate lack of qualified applicants for the 13 full-time positions open is causing great concern in the Dining Hall administration. Moskowitz had quoted Heaman as saying the Dining Halls hire on "no criteria except moral integrity."

Wessell and Joseph Stefani, business representative of the A.F.L. Cooks and Pastry Cooks Union, which represents the Dining Hall employees, agreed that there is probably some "deadwood" on the kitchen staff, but that it is "almost impossible to eliminate."

"Deadwood" at a Minimum

Stefani also asserted that Harvard's excellent working conditions and high employment standards have kept "deadwood" trouble in the kitchens at a minimum, however.

The Student Council sent the report back to the Food Committee because of insufficient evidence in support of some of the recommendations. Moskowitz said that the committee is restudying the situation and will submit a new report later.