Yet Another New Idea

Despite yesterday's balmy temperatures, the undergraduate car owner looks forward to frosty parking troubles in the winter weeks to come. The University Health Service has a big parking lot, at Holyoke and Mount Auburn Streets, which is just one of many reserved for daytime use by Faculty. We suggest that Dr. Farnsworth open up this lot for night use by students.

The major objection to this plan is that students would rarely wake early enough to move their vehicles so that Health Service personnel could get into the lot. This thesis deserves a test; it is quite likely that there are many undergraduates who would accept the responsibility of vacating the lot by, say, eight a.m., in return for the use of such an ideally located parking spot. For others, a simple procedure could be established: if they kept their cars in over-time, they would immediately be denied use of the lot.

While there are risks in the system, considering the confusion that could arise if two or three students overslept after an over-night snowfall, it's worth a desperate try. The rules of the game would require strict observation--but rules are Good Things if they have positive effects.