Pusey Says University to Grow Naturally, No Hasty Expansion

By John G. Wofford

President Pusey yesterday played down the implications which the new alumni campaign might have for immediate expansion of the College, and restated his familiar theme that Harvard would make no conscious decision on expansion, but would grow, slowly, to meet the new demands of the nation.

At his New York press conference, Pusey said that if three new Houses are built within the next few years, it is conceivable that Harvard College might grow as much as 20 per cent in the next ten years. That would put enrollment at about 5,300.

It was learned from official sources, however, that the president did not wish to be pinned down to an exact figure, because no one really knows how much the College will have to grow in the next ten years.

Pusey also emphasized again that any growth must be conditional upon proper facilities. At his press conference he had released figures showing that College dormitories before World War II held only a few more than 2,700 students in any one year, but that since the war there have never been fewer than 3,700.

One House Now

"One House immediately, two more as quickly as they can be had, and, as well, increased dormitory space for freshmen," he said, "are required to solve this critical situation."

Two years ago, the Report to the Board of Overseers of the Committee to Visit Harvard College concluded that the College should grow larger, accepting a share of the national problem of providing a high quality of education for unprecedented numbers of students. This fall, the same committee restated its conclusion and added that "Harvard College should and in all probability will grow during the next ten years to reach an approximate level of 5,000."