Restive Soviet Students Demand Political Reforms in Government

Diplomats Report Discontent

Growing curiosity about events in Hungary and Poland has sparked unrest among Soviet students, according to reports reaching London from Western diplomats in Moscow.

"Their basic demand is for a liberalization of the political system," according to one informant. He went on to say, "It's clearly worrying the Kremlin."

It has been further reported that the secret police have arrested a number of Moscow students for forming what was called an "underground political organization."

Nikita S. Khrushev, first secretary of the Communist Party, reputedly told a group of students "that if they don't like their institutions they could go and work--others could take their place."

Western embassies felt that criticism of the Soviet Army's destruction of the Hungarian rebellion had centered in informal discussion groups.

Though Moscow seems to be the center of unrest, reports from the Balkans also note students restiveness. Students there have demanded the withdrawal of Russian officials and the release of various imprisoned intellectuals.