Freshmen Hail 'Fraternal' 8 Prescott St.

The University acquired last fall two apartment houses on Prescott St., which were renamed Greenough and Hurlbut Halls. In the same purchase the University also obtained a small Victorian house, 8 Prescott St., which now houses 17 freshmen, who yesterday expressed great satisfaction with the "fraternity" atmosphere of their crowded dormitory.

There are no suites in 8 Prescott, and all the rooms lack lighting fixtures and uniform heating. Many rooms have no closets, but the University has compensated for these deficiencies by providing residents with foot lockers, floor and desk lamps, and modern furniture.

Despite these inadequacies, the Yardlings like the "family" atmosphere of the dorm, one resident, George Hegeman, reported. Hegeman also praised "the feeling of belonging" which 8 Prescott provides, while Michael Gilman admired the fact that "they's thrown a great bunch of guys together."

The closeness of the group does not prevent privacy, since, according to Stephen Cushman, "you can be alone all you want." Although the walls are thin, the dorm is quiet, and "when there's noise, everyone makes it," Cushman said. Some of the 17 study in Lamont, but most study in the dorm, where it is "quieter than in the Yard," James R. Murphy claims.

Irving S. K. Chin 2L, 8 Prescott's popular proctor, felt that his charges "have adjusted pretty well." He considered the "quality of the people here different," and praised the dorm for being "as close to a fraternity type of arrangement as you can get." Chin has arranged a dance for Saturday night, and plans to use all the downstairs rooms for the event.