Alabama Professor Censures University

Effect of a Negro Ignored

By George H. Watson jr.

A professor of Political Science at the University of Alabama, reached last night by phone in Tuscaloosa, criticized the university for inadequate police protection and lack of communication with the NAACP.

The professor, who asked to remain anonymous, told the CRIMSON that numerous faculty members were outraged by the way the board of trustees had bungled the admission of Miss Autherine Lucy to the school. "Apparently they just didn't consider the possible effects of a Negro on the campus," he said.

The school made no effort to prepare students psychologically or to provide sufficient protection for Miss Lucy, he asserted. "Of course hindsight is better than foresight, and we don't have a riot squad in Tuscaloosa, but better precautions should have been taken," he added.

"NCAAP Injudicious"

The professor also scored the university for "not deigning to consult with the NAACP." He emphasized the need for communication in order to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts. "While the NAACP was injudicious in some of its statements," he said, "it was not a real cause of the riots. The university was more to blame for its aloofness."

Sensational Publicity

Disagreeing with the professor, Nelson Cole, editor of the University of Alabama's "Crimson and White," told the CRIMSON that the NAACP had played Miss Lucy for too much sensational publicity. "If Miss Lucy's attorney had taken a softer pedal, some of the student resentment might have been avoided," Cole stated.

Both Cole and the professor agreed, however, that the university had to suspend Miss Lucy to avert bloodshed. They also expressed surprise and disgust at the number of students who participated in the violent demonstrations.

Cole said he believed that the vast majority of Alabama students condemned the mob action. He pointed to the many organizations which have drafted resolutions calling for respect for the law. "Nevertheless one must remember that none of these groups have expressed opposition to segregation or have asked for the reinstatement of Miss Lucy," he warned.

Neither Cole nor the professor would make any guess on what course the university would pursue, or what student reaction to possible reinstatement would be.