Last Chance to Beat Yale?

Lining Them Up

By Philip M. Boffey

There is some sentiment around the IAB pool that this is the now-or-never year for ending Yale's record of 130-odd dual meet triumphs. With much of the varsity's strength centered in seniors Dave Hawkins and Jim Jorgensen, many feel that this will be the Crimson's last good chance for several years.

Certainly Hawkins, Jorgensen, and the other seniors will be missed, but indications are that the freshman team is not wholly lacking in potential. Indeed, a few of them seem likely to assume major roles on next year's varsity.

In the distance free-style events, captain Dick Seaton may be the man to replace Jorgensen. His best time in the longest freshman event to date, the 200, has been 2:02.3. In addition, Seaton has done the 50 in 24 seconds and the 100 in 52.3. "Such versatility is an indication of a real swimmer," coach Bill Brooks said, predicting that Seaton would also be a good 440 man.

To back Seaton up at the 200-220 distance, Brooks has Andy Hamilton and Art Windecker, who are fairly even.

As possible replacements for Hawkins' butterfly strength, the Yardlings have Jim Stanley and Bill Murray. Stanley can do a 1:03.6 over the 100-yard distance and a 28.3 for the 50. Although Murray, who has a "phenomental dolphin" according to Brooks, can't beat Stanley in the 100, he can do the 50 in 27.5.

Murray is also the top backstroker, with a 1:04.8 clocking for the 100. This, coupled with his butterfly ability, enables him to do the 150 individual medley in 1:40.2.

One of the best freshman prospects is diver Frank Gorman. A national YMCA champ, Brooks felt that he was "potentially the best diver Harvard has ever had." The other divers, Phil Holts and Dave Raty are "very even and improving fast."