Conservative Feud Revived As Trio Reverts to League

'We Are Still Here...'

The Conservatives are at it again. The running feud between two rival groups broke out again--tamely--last night as two members and one non-member of the New Conservative Club resigned from that group to reconstitute the Conservative League.

This action followed a meeting of the NCC at which the group's name was changed to the Harvard Conservative Club and a new slate of officers was elected.

The three members of the revived League charge the NCC with "selling out" the leadership of the club to "a group guided by unprincipled radicalism" and of changing the name of the organization "for the sole purpose of liquidating the Conservative League."

William C. Brady '57, president of the NCC until two nights ago, reached an agreement in December with Kenneth E. Thompson '57, Executive Officer of the League and one of the three who resigned last night, to merge the two organizations into the "Harvard Conservative Club."

Last night's statement of resignation repudiates that agreement. "We wish to state, for the benefit of the entire Harvard community, that we are still here, and we intend to remain for a long time." The statement continued: "We welcome the continued cooperation of our friends and sympathizers; we await the attacks of our enemies. We will make no deals. We will not fade away. We will not be driven into the ground."

One of the three who "resigned" from the NCC is David B. Cole '55, "Intelligence Officer," who was expelled from the club last March. As of last night, six former members of the League refused to follow the lead of Thompson, Cole, and Thomas C. Griffin '57.

The new officers of the Conservative Club include Edward S. Barnard '58, president; Thomas J. Collins '58, first vice-president; and A. Leroy Ellison '58, treasurer.

Brady last night affirmed his faith in the new officers, and said he knew of no "unprincipled radicalism" among the leaders. "The Conservative League's statement is ridiculous and absurd in the extreme," he said, and "a loud empty report aimed only at sensationalism."