I Hear Massachusetts Singing

Cabbages and Kings

By Jonathan Beecher

A crusade is afoot. Perhaps it is a conspiracy. It started when a couple of people sent bills to the State Legislature. But that didn't mean much because everybody does that. Then, four days ago Richard I. Furbush, President of the State Senate, wrote a letter to Governor Herter. "I feel, Governor," the senator spoke out, "that there are so many persons throughout the country who are singing the praises of Massachusetts that an opportunity should be given them to put it to words and music."

It was not a new problem that the senator raised. A few weeks before, one of Furbush's colleagues had even suggested a song: Harvard's football classic, "The Gridiron King" ("Hit the line for Harvard ..."). This legislator hoped someone would write new words to "The Gridiron King," much as the State of Maryland had adapted the old German Christmas carol "O Tannenbaum" to its own purposes. This suggestion, however, evoked sharp editorial response from the ever-watchful Boston Herald: "Leave the songs to the birds and Tin-Pan Alley." The Herald's plan, however, does not appear to be the most practical solution. Massachusetts' Official State Bird is, of course, the chickadee.

Senator Furbush had another idea. He suggested that Massachusetts run a nation-wide Official State Song Contest. There are scarcely any reasons why Massachusetts should not have an Official State Song Contest. It may be true, however, that some of Massachusetts' admirers have chosen to demonstrate their affection by residing in the state. If this is the case, Senator Furbush's proposed prize--an expenses paid visit to Massachusetts--could become superfluous. On the other hand, it would hardly be fitting to send the winners to Daytona Beach.

There is also the problem of spontaneity. Many state and national songs have been composed in time of stress. Few visions of Massachusetts' scenery, stirring as it may be, can equal the inspirational effect of the familiar rocket's red glare. To create a setting for its songwriters Massachusetts might declare war on Rhode Island.

Even with the proper atmosphere for composition, state songs still need titles. Composers could strive for the "sock it to 'em" effect of a state song like "California Here I Come." Or with New England simplicity, they could follow the example of Oklahoma, whose official state song is entitled "Oklahoma"; or Maryland ("O Maryland").

At Beacon Hill or Battle Creek, contests, of course, cost money. But since a penny saved is a penny to spend, it should be said that there is a bill pending in the State Legislature to set up a commission to design a "less expensive" state flag.