Radcliffe to Raise Room Rent in 1957; New Off-Campus Dorm Space Acquired

'Cliffe Rents 8th House Next Fall in Effort to Accept All Boarders

Radcliffe will rent an eighth off-campus house next fall, Emily B. Lacey, Dean of Residence, announced yesterday.

The move is part of a plan to accommodate all students who wish to live at the college.

A long-range program of building another dormitory similar to Holmes and Moors has not been dropped, but until enough funds are secured, Radcliffe will continue to rent off-campus houses for the overflow of students.

The newly-rented dorm is Greycroft House, located at 1590 Massachusetts Ave. Dean Lacey said she was not sure how many students Greycroft will hold. Approximately 15 to 30 are housed in each of the other off-campus houses.

Insufficient dormitory space forced about ten 'Cliffe sophomores to commute last term, and the additional lodgings represent an attempt to forestall recurrence of this situation. All those forced to commute last term now have rooms at the college, Dean Lacey said.

She emphasized the difficulty of estimating the number of rooms actually needed each term, pointing out if only two percent more freshmen accept their places in the class than are expected, six more rooms must be found. The number of upperclassmen returning is also always indefinite until just before each term opens, she added.

Each year a higher percentage of Radcliffe students wish rooms at the college instead of home. Dean Lacey said she expects this trend to level off, however, when 90 percent of the students are residents.