16-Year-Old Carol Heiss Captures World's Skating Title From Tenley

Tenley Albright lost the world figure skating title Saturday to 16-year-old Carol Heiss of New York.

Miss Heiss took a slight edge over Tenley in the compulsory figures division and added a decisive margin in the free skating to win the competition held at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.

The second American to be champion, the New York girl is the second youngest woman to take the crown.

In the major competitions of the past two years, including the Olympics in Italy two weeks ago, the new title-holder has often been runner-up to Miss Albright. This is the first time that Miss Heiss and defeated the former champion.

Recommended Articles

Tenley Takes Lead In Skating Tourney
Tenley Albright skated to a delicate lead over Carol Heiss in the United States Figure Championships which began yesterday at
THE SPORTING SCENE
Tenley Albright '57 will exhibit her championship figure skating technique at a $100-a-plate Olympics dinner Oct. 26 at New York's
Tenley Holds Narrow Lead
Tenley Albright '57 barely held the lead over her Olympic rival, Carol Heiss of Ozone Park, N.Y., after the completion
Albright to Attempt to Regain World Champ Skating Crown
Tenley Albright '57 arrived in Vlenna Saturday, where she will attempt to regain the World woman's Figure skating Championship in
Richards Returns to College; Starred in Big GM Ice Show
Dudley Richards, figure skating star and Lowell House junior, returns today from Lake Placid where he has been performing since
Tenley Albright Will Compete in Olympics
Tenley Albright, Radcliffe '57, the world figure skating champion, plans definitely to compete in the 1956 Winter Olympics at Cortina