Swimmers Oppose Tigers With New Records Likely

By L.thomas Linden

More Crimson records could be set tonight in the I.A.B. pool than were established against Yale here last March. For undefeated Princeton guarantees the varsity swimming team "a very good tussle," according to Crimson coach Hal Ulen, at 8:45 p.m. while Williston Academy, the best prep school team in the country, meets the freshmen in the preliminary at 7:30.

Williston has lost only to Yale, the best freshman team in the country, 39 to 38, and must be favored tonight. Princeton tied Dartmouth, a squad which the Crimson varsity beat by ten points, so the home team should retain its own undefeated status at the expense of the Tigers' in the main contest.

Both visiting squads bring greater strength to Cambridge than have any previous visitors this season, and for this reason will force Crimson swimmers to peak performances. Princeton can push the Crimson varsity to records in any or all of eight events.

The Tigers' 300-yard medley relay team of Jay Harbeck, Pat Shannon, and Orville Mann has put together a time of 2:55.4. This clocking would not allow the Crimson's Pete Macky, Dave Hawkins, and Chouteau Dyer to slacken the 2:52.4 record pace they set at Dartmouth last week. In their home pool the Crimson may go faster.

Kent Simons owns Princeton's records in the 220 and 440, with times of 2:12.8 and 4:53.9. These speeds do not match the 2:07.8 and 4:43.5 marks held by Crimson captain Jim Jorgensen.

Princeton's captain, Jay Evans, holds the visitors' strength in the 50 and 100 with times this season of 23.6 and 53 seconds flat. Dyer, Gus Johnson, Rog Clifton, and Jon Lind will have to be at top speed to beat him; in fact, Evans may show enough to drive Dyer to lowering the Crimson records the junior already holds in these events (22.4 and 50.7).

The three-meter dive may be the closest event of the meet. Greg Stone of the Crimson has lost his last two outings and may be upset by Princeton's Remington Ball.