‘A Big Win’: Harvard Expands Kosher Options in Undergraduate Dining Halls

Top Republicans Ask Harvard to Detail Plans for Handling Campus Protests in New Semester

Harvard’s Graduate Union Installs Third New President in Less Than 1 Year

Harvard Settles With Applied Physics Professor Who Sued Over Tenure Denial

Longtime Harvard Social Studies Director Anya Bassett Remembered As ‘Greatest Mentor’

Anderson, Kanin, Oenslager Say Theatre Is Needed for Training

Speak at Conference

Three theatre experts joined last night in calling for a Harvard Theatre as a useful training ground for undergraduates planning a drama career. Their recommendation came in answer to questions from the floor at the Conference on Careers in Kirkland House Junior Common Room.

Playwright Robert Anderson '39, director Garson Kanin, and set designer Donald P. Oenslager '23 said that a formal theatre would enable undergraduates to gain valuable stage experience while still in College. Anderson cautioned, however, that "too much emphasis should not be placed on the physical setup."

The College, however, has produced important figures in the theatre--like Robert E. Sherwood '17, John Mason Brown '23, Brooks Atkinson '17, and John G. Kerr '52--with essentially the same facilities as are now available to student organizations, Anderson pointed out.

Each of the three speakers discussed his profession and cautioned dabblers that success in the theatre requires constant sacrifice. The College graduate, Anderson said, must "shake the ivory tower from his being."

Anderson said, prior to his speech, that he was pleased with the increased theatre interest within the College, and dismissed as "unrealistic" an opinion recently expressed that undergraduates are producing too many dramatic shows.

Anderson is the author of "Tea and Sympathy," and Oenslager designed sets for the current Broadway play "Janus."