U.S. Sextet Defeats Sweden, 6-1; Tenley Wins Skating Title

Heiss Takes Second In Figure Skating

Cortina, Italy, Feb 2--Tenley Albright '57 became the first American in history to capture an Olympic gold medal in women's skating, and the second member of the United States team to place first this year's Winter Games here.

Tenley's victory combined with the silver medal effort of 16 year old Carol Heiss of New York moved America into sixth place in the unofficial team standings of the Winter Olympic Games.

Although still suffering from a leg injury sustained in practice, the Radcliffe junior completed a ballet composed from a Jacques Offenbach medley almost flaw-lessly.

The 10,000 spectators saw Tenley falter slightly on a double axle, but it was not enough to mar her performance. She limped badly coming off the ice after her four minute program, having turned her injured right ankle while skating.

The 11 judges awarded Tenley extremely high scores. Out of a possible six points she received the following scores for her program: eight 5.8's, two 5.7's and one 5.6. For performance she received six 5.8's, two 5.7's, two 5.6's, and one 5.5.

The weather was getting colder and shadows covered the rink as she finished her routines. Miss Heiss skated after her, and gained more applause than any other contestant.

Tenley placed second to Jeannette Altwegg of Britain in the '52 Olympics and the following year became the first American girl to win the world championship. After losing the title in 1954 she regained it last year.

The fifteen points gained by Tenley and Miss Heiss placed the U.S. ahead of Switzerland with 44 points and within one half point of fifth place Austria.

Russia picked up seven points with a 3rd, 4th, and 6th place in the Ski Marathon.