Draft Committee Resigns in Protest Against Selective Service Officials

The six-man Massachusetts Sub-committee on Dental Education and Advisory Committee to Selective Service resigned in a body yesterday in protest against Washington draft officials who have kept a dental school professor out of the armed forces.

Dr. Arthur M. Maloney, Assistant Professor of Prosthetic Dentistry, who had earlier resigned from the board because he felt it was not necessary, criticized the Committee's action. "There was no need for such a mass exodus," he said last night. "Such a move proves little and I am glad I was not a part of it," he added.

Dr. S. M. Kozol, chairman of the Committee, charged that "We have been rendered ineffectual." He went on to say that the dental student was of draft age when World War II broke out and yet never served a day of military service.

Kozol also said "the attention of dentists all over the United States has been drawn to this action which involves influence peddling from high governmental positions."

Maloney agreed that the student should have been drafted, but he said "that time has gone by. New rulings have gone into effect which make such men exempt from the draft. With these new rulings, the Committee has little more use. However, I do not like the idea of it ending its existence in this manner."