Swimming Team Faces Gymnasts In Today's Meet

Varsity swimmers will pace themselves by the record books if not by the weak Springfield team in the I.A.B. pool at 8 tonight. The freshmen swim against the Waltham Boys Club in the Block-house at 4 p.m.

Dave Hawkins of the varsity probably will try to cut his time for the new 200-yard individual medley down to the 2:11 and 2:13 clockings that have been recorded in North Carolina and New Haven. Springfield times in this event give little hint of whether Hawkins will get a helpful push from the opposition.

Springfield "always has good divers," said Crimson coach Hal Ulen, but they can expect some of the best local competition in years from not only Greg Stone but Duane Turner, whose performance at Annapolis last Saturday shows he is gaining surety and poise off the board.

Jim Clarke of the Gymnasts has not yet produced anything in the 50 or the 100 that will push Chateau Dyer of the Crimson to lower the records he holds in these events. Nor is Andy Shoenheiter a threat to varsity captain Jim Jorgensen in the 220 and 440.