Varsity Six Seeks Beanpot Tonight

Team Plans Revenge On B.C. in Finals

By Bruce M. Reeves

If the varsity hockey team has really improved, and if it considers itself in contention for top Eastern honors, then it will beat Boston College tonight by two goals.

The faceoff for this match to decide the Crimson's future and to crown the 1956 Beanpot Champion will be at 9 p.m. in the Boston Garden.

The varsity, seeking its sixth straight victory and its second successive Beanpot title, should be at full strength when Bob McVey returns to center the second line between Terry O'Malley and Joe Crehore.

According to Middlebury coach Duke Nelson, chairman of the N.C.A.A. Selection Committee, the match with the Eagles could possibly serve as a jumping board to a National Tourney Invitation for either team.

Crimson Ranked Fourth

Although the Crimson's record still rates below those of Clarkson, St. Lawrence, and Boston College, a strong varsity finish coupled with an N.C.A.A. eligibility ruling against the New York sextets might lead to another Crimson invitation. But first the varsity must defeat its closest competitor, Boston College.

Monday night the Crimson proved that its early-season loss to B.U. could be blamed on inexperience. Tonight, if the players can get by their first-period shakes, the defeat to B.C. on Dec. 16 can be avenged.

On the other hand, if, as happened against the Terriers, the team cannot get organized until the second period, B.C.'s three aggressive lines could stock up enough goals for a victory before the Crimson even gets ready.

Weakened Crimson Defense

Whereas the varsity completely out-skated the B.U. sextet, Boston College can match the Crimson squad almost man for man on the forward line and even surpass it at defense in view of the recent Crimson shifts moving Dan Ullyot and Pete Summers up as wings.

This could, of course, place the burden of the game on goalie Charlie Flynn. Flynn's performances since vacation definitely indicate that he is quite capable of handling the B.C. lines, although a slight lapse in this case might well mean the game.