Watson Allows Freshman To Compose for Pudding

Composed 16 Songs

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Dean Watson yesterday gave the Hasty Pudding Theatricals permission to use the music of an unheralded freshman for its March 14 production of "Love Rides the Rails." This decision will finally allow the club to begin actual rehearsals for the show this week.

The new composer, Victor I. Ziskin '59, has written 16 of the show's songs including the overture. His lyricist is Jay Cavior '57. The Pudding will retain four songs written last fall by Varick Bacon '55 and Clarke Tyler '56.

Until Watson's decision yesterday, the Pudding did not know if it would be able to present its 108th production. A dean's office ruling said that no student "who is not eligible for membership in the club" could help in the production of the show.

Freshmen and Females Ineligible

This would have seemingly made any freshman or female ineligible to help the Pudding. But Watson ruled that the actual writing of the music was independent of the "production of the show." He did specify, however, that Ziskin could not help in either arranging or in handling the music production.

Bacon and Tyler's original show, "The Golden Fleecer," was found unacceptable to the Pudding in the fall. Ziskin was asked to write new music, but it was not known until yesterday whether the Administration would permit his participation. He has studied under Leonard Bernstein, Roger Sessions, and Kay Swift.

James Paul is directing the show. A graduate of the University of Washington, he has directed Army and Air Force shows in Europe, and has had five years of stock experience.