Weiss Says Workers Must Arise To Save Country From Fascism

At P.B.H. Forum

By James W.B. Benkard

"If the working class of America does not rise and change Democracy for the better, the United States will turn to fascism," Myra T. Weiss, spokesman for the American Socialist Workers' Party, told a P.B.H. audience last night.

Miss Weiss, speaking under the auspices of the Social-Democratic Forum, said that the split between the working classes and their capitalist dominators is widening at a greater rate than it ever has. "As Marx predicted," she emphasized, "the workers alone have the ambition to improve the lot of their nation and their fellow men, while all the capitalists wish to do is to walk around with mink coats on their backs."

The Socialist Workers' Party advocates peaceful following of the Marxist program. It broke away from the Russian Communists and the Stalinists in 1920.

"Only the labor unions are keeping off the clash between the workers and the Capitalists," Miss Weiss said. "Before the unions, the workers were no more than industrial slaves." She said that without the unions there would be no democracy for the lower classes.

"The workers will rise," Miss Weiss stated, "and they will run the country with a planned, efficient economy."

Her announced topic was dialectical materialism.