Stanley Downs Koletsky to Lead Crimson Swimmers at Easterns

Jim Stanley led the Crimson representatives at the Eastern Intercollegiate swimming championships by setting a new Harvard and meet record in the 200 yard breast stroke at New Haven. Stanley swam a sensational 2:24.9 to down his long-time Yale rival Joe Koletsky.

This win was particularly gratifying, for Koletsky beat Stanley last year in the 200 and again in this year's Yale contest. Stanley cut almost three seconds off his old varsity record of 2:27.6 and came within .6 seconds of breaking the Yale pool record, held by Koletsky.

Elsewhere, Bruce Hunter won the 100-yard freestyle in 50.5, beating Yale's Charlie Bronston, who finished second. The latter had earlier downed Hunter in the 50, so this win gave the Crimson sophomore sweet revenge.

In the 400-yard freestyle relay, the Crimson team of Koni Ulbrich, Fred Cooley, Dick Seaton, and Hunter swam its fastest time of the season--a 3:28.0, to finish a close second to Yale. In the final leg, Hunter did a 49.5, with some watches clocking him at 49.3. At any rate, his official time was only .5 seconds off Chouteau Dyer's varsity record, indicating that by his senior year, Hunter may be headed for greater heights.

Pildner Shows Improvement

In the 100-yard backstoke, the Crimson's Gary Pildner finished fourth in 1:01.8, but again showed excellent end-of-the-year improvement. The 400-yard medley relay team finished fourth, doing a 4:05.1, yet without the services of Captain John Hammond, who has been sick since the Dartmouth meet.

Coach Bill Brooks was pleased with the varsity's showing in the Easterns, since both Stanley and Hunter have indicated that they can excel in the Nationals two weeks hence. In fact, Stanley may win the 200-yard breast stroke in the Nationals, though he had yielded in the 100 to Navy's Bob Taft in this year's Easterns.