Swimmers Seek Unofficial Second In EISL Races

The varsity swimming team will battle North Carolina State for unofficial second ranking in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League's individual championships at Cornell today and tomorrow. Yale, of course, is expected to dominate.

In the 50 today, Chouteau Dyer will seek revenge against the Elis' Aubrey and Gideonse, but Keiter of Amherst (22.7) or Maxwell of UConn (22.8) might pull an upset. The same men will come back in the 100 tomorrow, with Armstrong and Cornwall of Yale, both of whom have broken 50 seconds on relay legs, complicating the picture.

Jorgensen in 220

Jim Jorgensen (2:07.2) should take the 220, with the chief competition coming from Armstrong (2:09), Drosdick of Dartmouth (2:10), and Breen of Courtland State (2:10). The 440, however, is rated a tossup between Jorgensen and Breen, both of whom have done 4:40.

Focal point of the Harvard-North Carolina State rivalry will be the 200 yard butterfly. Dave Hawkins won the event last year in 2:13.8, but he will be facing two of the best fly-men in the country in State's Jack Nelson and Phil Drake.

State is also strong in the orthodox breaststroke, where Dick Fadgen has done 2:21.9. Sigo Falk's 2:31 may qualify for the finals, but he will face Army's Kutyna (2:20), and Yale's Hardin (2:23), and Fleming (2:28).