Band Will Defy Weather and Crowd To Lead St. Patrick's Day Parade

The parade will go on.

After all, "nothing, not even a blizzard will stop the Irish," declares Daniel M. O'Sullivan, originator of a state legislature bill to make St. Patrick's Day a legal holiday. Blizzard and all, 50,000 wearers of the Green are expected to slosh through South Boston streets at 2 this afternoon, in honor of their patron saint.

Even the Harvard band will brave both the elements and the taunts of onlookers with its red coats. The bandsmen will march the entire five-mile distance, shielded by shamrocks in their lapels and an "Erin go bragh" emblazoned on The Drum.

Every effort will be made to keep instruments thawed out, band manager R. Scott Dills '57 said yesterday. The repertoire will include "Marching to Tipperary," "McNamara's Band," and "The Wearing of the Green." Only an occasional intrusion of "Ten Thousand Men of Harvard" will be permitted.

The day will boast additional cause for rejoicing among the friends of the Emerald Isle. It marks the 181st anniversary of "Evacuation Day," the departure of the British from Boston under the guns of colonial batteries mounted on Dorchester Heights.