Varsity Outswims Yale, N.C. State On First Day of Eastern Tourney

The varsity swimming team took a slight lead over Yale and North Carolina State in the race for unofficial team honors in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League Championships at Cornell yesterday. Harvard took two firsts, two seconds, and a fourth; Yale took one first, two seconds, and two thirds; State took two firsts.

Chouteau Dyer opened the evening by gaining partial revenge against the Eli's in the 50. Rex Aubrey won the event in 22.3, but Dyer turned in a 22.4 to beat out Yale's Sandy Gideonse (22.6) for second. In a trial heat, Dyer did 22.3 to set a new Harvard record. Both he and Aubrey also tied the ECIL record.

Another Harvard record came in the 220, where Jim Jorgensen swam a 2:06.9 to break his old mark by 0.3 seconds. He was only a tenth of a second off the league mark set by Yale's John Marshall in 1951. Breen of Courtland State (2:07.8) and Dave Armstrong of Yale (2:09.5) finished second and third.

North Carolina State gained one of its firsts in the 220 yard butterfly when Dick Fadgen set a new meet record in 2:13.2. Dave Hawkins, who set the previous record last year, started out too fast and faded to finish second in 2:17.8.

After Greg Stone took fourth in the one meter dive, Dyer, Pete Macky, Jon Lind, and Jorgensen won the 400 year relay in 3:26.1. This is two seconds faster than the old Harvard record and a second faster than former meet record held by Yale. Yale's team of Gideonse, Ed Howes, Dan Cornwall, and John Niles finished second in 3:29.0.