Students to Criticize Meals In Five-House Poll Today

By Peter V. Shackter

In the first step of a large-scale attempt to investigate meals in the College, the Inter-House Food Committee will conduct a poll at lunch and dinner today in the five houses served by the central kitchen--Eliot, Kirkland, Leverett, Lowell, and Winthrop.

The main courses most often served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner will appear on the ballots. Students will indicate by means of numbers beside each item whether (1) the dish is fully satisfactory and should be retained, (2) the dish should be retained if its quality is improved, (3) the dish should be retained if its preparation is improved, or (4) the dish should be eliminated.

John N. Claeson '57, co-chairman of the inter-house committee, said last night that he expected his group to present a report, documented by the results of the poll, to the administration within a month. He said that his poll differs from the incomplete one taken last year in that it is easier to decode, gets at specific criticism, and deals with main dishes only.

More Polls May Follow

Individual houses may run later polls on other meal courses, he added.

The Inter-House Foods Committee consists of delegates from each of the central kitchen houses, under the co-chairman-ship of Claeson and Wilber W. Marshman '57. It was formed in December when the Student Council's Food committee, which is investigating meals throughout the University, gave the five house committees permission to run a survey independent of the council, in response to complaints from students about meals.