Cherington Blasts Railroads' Drive To Raise Fares

The five percent fare increase demanded by Northeastern railroads is a "stupid and inept move," but will probaby get approval, Charles R. Cherington, professor of Government and former consultant for the New Haven Railroad, declared last night.

"Railroads lose money on passenger transportation," Cherington explained, "but not so much as they claim." The rise in price, he said, will only "drive more people to their automobiles.

Cherington criticized the petition of 89 railroad presidents asking the I.C.C. to authorize higher fares in the area north of the Potomac and east of the Mississippi. "This unreasonable plan proves the need for government ownership of railroads," he commented.

Approval of the plan by the I.C.C. is likely, he concluded, since the Commission usually accepts the decision of the railroads.

The New Haven does not except to lose revenue by raising prices, according to Howard A. Moulton of the railroad's public relations department. He claimed that most members of the Association of Eastern Railroad Presidents, which submitted the petition, have lost money under the present fare setup.

The increase in the price of a Boston-New York ticket from $7.75 to $8.13, for example, Moulton estimated, would not persuade a substantial number of passengers to change their mode of transportation.

The proposal, which would go into effect May 1, seeks to raise all fares by five percent. At present, the charge is 3.375 cents a mile for coach and 4.5 cents for Pullman travel.