Saturday Snowstorm Causes Car Towing; Irish Cancel Parade

Snow removal problems brought differing reactions from city officials this weekend.

While Mayor Edward J. Sullivan manned a shovel and truck to help clear the streets and crosswalks of Harvard Square, Police Lt. Joseph P. Breen ordered 70 cars removed from Massachusetts Avenue, and Police Chief Patrick F. Ready demanded the towing of another 25 from the Central Square area.

The transportation problem was not as serious in Saturday's 5.7 inch snowfall as in the harsher storms this month, however. Cambridge traffic was reported to be lighter than in earlier snows, and the MTA had all its lines running yesterday for the first time since March 16. Logan Airport was closed Saturday, but leading airlines announced normal service resumed since 5 a.m. yesterday.

Students with vacation plane reservations this week have no worries from Saturday's storm, but can view the future with apprehension: light snows are predicted for today.

The Harvard Band gained a few hours of leisure as the St. Patrick's Day parade was postponed for the second week in a row, this time "indefinitely." Boston Chief Marshal Joseph F. Feeney is considering the idea of holding the parade April 7, but Mayor Hynes expressed doubts that the "spirit of the holiday could be recaptured at that late date."