UAC Votes Major Status For Cross Country Team

Ninth Major Sport

By James W. B. benkard

Cross Country will become the College's ninth major sport, it was learned yesterday. The Undergraduate Athletic Council passed a resolution elevating the sport to a major status and submitted the move to the Faculty Committee on Athletics. Approval from this body is considered automatic.

William M. Meigs '56, head of the Undergraduate Athletic Council, said last night, "With the inclusion of Soccer and Cross Country as major sports, we are considering a new type of shapes and colors for the different major letters. The present system is too unwieldy for nine major sports, and we hope to submit a more advantageous one in the near future," he added.

Upon learning of the change, Cross Country coach William M. McCurdy said, "I think this a wonderful tribute to those men who have worked so hard for so long." Former captain Don French '56 agreed with McCurdy and said, "I certainly think we deserve it." The team has been unbeaten for the last two years.

Cross Country and Soccer both petitioned the Undergraduate Athletic Council for major recognition in October. Soccer became the College's eighth major sport in November.

Because of the large number of major sports, Meigs said that Cross Country will have to be given a major letter with minor colors. The new letter, to be mounted on a white sweater, will be a black 'H' with a red border.