Perry Advocates Communist China Admission to U.N.

The United States should support the admission of Communist China to the United Nations, and restore Formosa and other off-shore islands to mainland control, according to Ralph Barton Perry '96, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy, emeritus.

The U.S. cannot expect constructive action from Soviet Russia on such questions as a united Germany, he said, until it first gives evidence of its own willingness to let down barriers in search of peace.

In a letter to the New York Times on Saturday, Perry described such a course as "the best possible proof that, when we propose substituting deeds for words, we mean what we say." He suggested that we will then have a positive action to exchange for Russian support of free elections in Germany. Such an exchange of proofs of sincerity is necessary, he believes, for the "eventual rule of order in central Europe."

Our policy towards China he wrote, assumes a state of revolution which no longer exists. A policy change now would not imply pro-Communist ideology, but would enable us to work with a government in firm control of a vital area, he continued.