Untried Freshmen to Encounter Tech Lacrosse, Baseball Teams

Freshman Sports

The Yardling lacrosse team opens its season this afternoon against M.I.T. at the Engineers' field with what Coach Robert Pickett terms "an unknown quantity."

Only five days out of Briggs Cage, the team will be handicapped by the lack of outdoor practice. Pickett stated that he thought that the M.I.T. team was probably at an equal disadvantage because of lack of practice. The games rates a toss-up, he said, because neither coach really knows the capability of his team.

He was optimistic, however, since the turnout for the team has been one of the largest in recent years. As in the past, however, only a few have had past experience at the game. Consequently, there remains a long time before the team will really shape up.

The starting lineup for the game, which will start at 3 p.m., has Chris Stone in the goal, with Bob Fallon, John Grogan, and Dave Stockwell as defensemen. At midfield will be Jerry Pyle, Mike Edwards, and Manuel Cabral. Attackmen will be John Neary, Dick Eldridge and Dick Pille.

* * * *

Coach Adolph Samborski's Freshman baseball team also opens its season this afternoon against an M.I.T. team on Soldiers' Field at 3 p.m. In primarily indoor practice the team seems to be developing, but hitting remains weak.

A tentative starting nine has Tom Hoff at first, George Harrington at second, Maury Balboni at third, Leon Kasarjian at short, Dave Faibrurn behind the plate, while Jim Bell, Keith Costa, and Al Slovin appear to be the top three outfielders. The starting pitcher still remains to be chosen.