Herter Urges Reciprocal Action To Counter Soviet Foreign Aid

To Strengthen Free World

The United States should cooperate rather than contend with the Soviet Union in aiding foreign countries, Christian A. Herter, Jr. '41, former administrative assistant to vice-president Nixon, said Wednesday night to a small gathering of the HYRC.

Working with the Russians would be beneficial since eventually whatever strengthens a free country will help the free world, Herter stated. If the U.S.S.R. gives a steel mill to a country the United States should reciprocate by building connective railroads rather than by offering a lower bid, he said.

The U.S. must realize the new implications of foreign aid, Herter declared. For many years America could impose stipulations as it saw fit on a grant, but now that there is competition this is no longer possible, he continued. Broader Congressional legislation is also needed to allow the President to meet the new challenges of foreign policy, Herter concluded.

Theodore R. McKeldin, Governor of Maryland, sharing the platform with Herter, stressed the need for caution in desegregation. McKeldin declared that he opposed segregation but felt that using force to integrate schools would be a terrible mistake.

"I am not pleading for my state because we have had little trouble with integration but for the Deep South where there is a truly serious problem," McKeldin stated. The country must realize that the Civil War destroyed the South's social system, and proceed with the necessary caution, he added. Germany could quickly recover from the two World Wars because it only suffered economic destruction, but Southerners have to adapt themselves to a new way of life, McKeldin said.