Varsity Lacrosse Loses to Tigers For 10th Straight

Karl Marx and the Inexorable Laws of History came through on the Business School Field Saturday as the Princeton lacrosse team put the varsity under its big toe in the first period and kept it there all the way through a 15-2 win. The loss was the Varsity's tenth straight of the season.

"We played the best game of the season," said Crimson coach Bruce Munro, but the best was not good enough to keep a Tiger, rated tops with Yale in the local league, from scratching up the varsity, 3-1 in the first period, 7-1 through the second, 12-1 and then 15-2 after the half.

Crimson Captain Dexter Lewis scored in the last period to keep Mike Holmes' first period tally from going home alone. But that was all for the Crimson on the positive side, and the defense, although more consistent than in past loses, could only space out the sad tidings.

The Crimson was looking--but never too hopefully--for its first win after nine defeats Saturday; the pattern of past performances featuring a varsity defense holding tight for three, two, and then one period before crumpling into defeat. In Saturday's match History required the varsity either to fold in the first period or reverse the pattern and win. Tradition proved the stronger.

On the same day and on the same side of the Conneticut River, the Yardlings stumbled through a bruising 9-5 loss to Andover Academy. The Yardlings played "very well" but Andover's 13 fouls (against six for the Crimson) told the tale of big bad muscle.