Council to Aid Scholar Fund For Germans

Sloane Plans Sale Of Baseball Tickets

By Richard T. Cooper

The Student Council last night accepted a unique scheme initiated by Carl Sloane '58 to save the starving German Exchange Scholarship Program. Through the sale of tickets for the Red Sox-Chicago White Sox baseball game at Fenway Park, the afternoon of May 10, the Council hopes to raise the $1200 required to preserve the program.

The plan will sell reserve grandstand seats, normally marketed at $1.90, for $1.25. Thus the German Scholarship fund will make 75 cents on each ticket, supplied at tax cost by the Red Sox organization.

The Red Sox agreement pends final approval by the Boston club hierarchy, which Sloane guaranteed automatic.

As a special inducement to freshmen, Sloane has concluded an arrangement with Norman W. Fradd, Director of Physical Training, whereby Yardlings purchasing tickets will get a slip of paper good for one required P.T. cut.

The special rate will be offered for a block of seats as large as the Council can sell, according to Sloane, thus eliminating danger of deficit.

Supplementary funds will be sought when local German exchange scholars participate in a panel discussion with donations accepted.

Should both drives fail to raise the necessary sum, which represents a cut of some $400 over last year's stipend, the money raised will go into a permanent fund for the program.

It is understood that failure to sustain the program through next year would mean almost certain loss of the University's waiver of tuition for the scholar. This possibility of tied-up funds aroused some opposition.