Faculty Will Decide on Midyear Vacation Plan

Discussion to Cover Bio-Chem Proposal At Meeting Today

The Faculty will decide today whether or not it approves the proposed extension of the mid-year vacation. If the Faculty passes the vacation plan, it must go to the Corporation for final consideration.

At its meeting today, the Faculty will probably also act on a new proposal to alter the non-honors requirements in the Bio-Chemical Sciences.

As the mid-year vacation plan stands now, an affirmative vote by both the Faculty and the Corporation would bring about an additional two day vacation, the extra days to come from abolishing Patriots Day as a holiday and by subtracting one day from Spring Reading Period.

Instead of exams ending on a Tuesday as they do now, they would conclude on a Wednesday, and the additional two days would be added to the present single day to give a lengthened break that would carry over through the weekend. In the revised schedule, one more day would be added to Winter Reading Period.

The proposal for the longer vacation originated simultaneously with the CRIMSON and the Student Council. The Council passed a resolution asking for the vacation and recently it was approved with modifications by the Committee on Educational Policy, the policy-making body of the Faculty.

Ever since the Thimann Report was rejected by the Faculty in March, a report asking for abolishing non-honors concentrators in Bio-Chemical Sciences, a committee has been working on another method of tightening up the non-honors requirements in that field. It is expected to make a new proposal to the Faculty today toward tightening requirements.