Nineteen Faculty Members Given Guggenheim Awards

For Highest Achievement

Nineteen outstanding members of the faculty have received Guggenheim fellowships for study next year, the Foundation announced yesterday.

The grants, awarded to those "who have demonstrated the highest capacity for original scholarly research or artistic creation," have been made to eight men working in the Humanities, eight in the Social Sciences, and three in the Natural Sciences.

Those receiving the awards are: Herschel C. Baker, associate professor of English, to study the development of William Hazlitt's ideas; Paul D. Bartlett, Erving Professor of Chemistry, the mechanisms of organic chemical reactions; Walter J. Bate '39, associate professor of English, the life and works of John Keats; Harvey Brooks, Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Physics, the foundations of solid state physics;

Reuben A. Brower, professor of English, Alexander Pope and the poetic tradition; I. Bernard Cohen '37, associate professor of History of Science, the development and the influence of Newton's ideas on the eighteenth century; Philip J. Darlington, Jr. '26, Curator of Recent Insects, the Australian carabid beetles; Glanville Downey, associate professor of Byzantine Literature at the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library, the history of Antioch on the Orontes;

Rupert Emerson '22, professor of Government, the development of non-white nationalistic movements; Myron P. Gilmore, professor of History, legal humanism in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries; Albert J. Guerard, professor of English, the modern novel, particularly the works of Joseph Conrad; Richard E. Pipes, research associate in the Russian Research Center, the ideas and social basis of Russian conservatism from its emergence at the end of the eighteenth century to 1917;

Robert L. Politzer, assistant professor of Romance Languages, the phonology of the Italian language; Egon Schwarz, instructor in German, the influence of German literature on the writings of the "generation of 1898" in Spain; Seymour Slive, assistant professor of Fine Arts, studies of the life and works of Frans Hals;

Arthur Smithies, professor of Economics and member of the faculty of the Graduate School of Public Administration, the overall economic policies of the U.S. government; Adam B. Ulam, associate professor of Government, the development of Marxian socialism in the West and in Russia; Harry B. Whittington, associate professor of Geology and Curator of Invertebrate Palaeontology, the zonal stratigraphy and fossil faunas of the Bala area, North Wales; John D. Wild, Jr., professor of Philosophy, philosophical anthropology.