Cartoonists Kelly and Capp To Talk Tonight in Sanders

On Anniversary of 'Pogo' Riot

Pogo will make his second visit to Cambridge tonight as Walt Kelly and A1 Capp, well-known cartoonists, put in a joint appearance at Sanders Theatre at 8 p.m.

Kelly's last appearance, exactly four years ago last night, precipitated the famous "Pogo for President" riot which followed his talk and found Harvard Square filled with over 1,500 chanting students and a large number of free-swinging Cambridge police. Twenty-eight students were arrested, and others charged police with "outrageous mishandling" in the three-hour fracas.

There are no apparent plans for a riot tonight, however, when the creators of Pogo and Li'l Abner discuss "Humor and its Role in International Relations." Carroll F. Miles, Dean of Foreign Students and Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Dunster House, will moderate the program.

Sponsored by Harvard-Delhi Project

The meeting is sponsored by the Harvard-Delhi Student Project, which is helping to finance Indian village development undertaken by Indian students at the University of Delhi. In November, the Delhi Project sponsored a speech by V. K. Krishna Menon, chief Indian delegate to the United Nations. The undergraduate group is also working with Indian students in the Cambridge area as part of a program to bring Indians and Americans together in a joint undertaking.

Penn Riot Last Week

The 1956 "I Go Pogo" movement began with a riot last week at the University of Pennsylvania, where several students favoring the possum from Okefenokee were arrested.

Recommended Articles

Pogo's Black Book
The animals in Walt Kelly's Pogo books are more human than most people I know, and this makes even their
Griswold Says Rioting Harms U.S. Education
In a recent post mortem evaluation of the Yale riots, A. Whitney Griswold, President of Yale, charged the disturbances with
Just Twenty Hours To New Delhi
Admittedly, chances are you won't go to New Delhi for Spring Break. The idea of 20 hours in and out
Shapley Detects 'Hope of World' in India's New Intellectual Awakening
Bearing an honorary degree presented by Viceroy Archibald Wavell and praising the interest in scientific matters shown by men and
Indians Meet Here Tonight
Representatives from over 20 organizations will meet tonight to discuss a "Mutual Service Project" between students at Harvard and Delhi
‘Silent Generation’ Rallies for ‘Pogo’
The Class of 1953 attended Harvard at a time when the U.S. was fighting in the Korean War and Senator