Faculty Approves Longer Vacation; Biochem Tightens Its Requirements

Plan Extends Inter-Term Vacation to 4 Days; Now Must Go to Corporation for Approval

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

The Faculty unanimously approved the two day extension of the mid-year vacation yesterday, and sent the student-inspired proposal to the Corporation for almost certain affirmative action.

Some dissenting voices were expected in the Faculty meeting, but Dean Bundy afterwards reported that the vote was "unanimous."

The two-day extension would, in effect, give students and faculty a four-day vacation beginning on a Thursday and lasting through Sunday. At present, only one day is granted between semesters--that on a Tuesday.

The extra days would be made up by dropping Patriots Day, April 19, as a holiday, and subtracting one day from the three-week Spring Reading Period. In addition, one day will be added to the Winter Reading Period.

Corporation Approval

After the meeting yesterday, Bundy said "it is safe to say that the Corporation has been consulted already, and we anticipate no trouble in having the plan passed." It is up to the Corporation's discretion whether or not it decides to ask the Board of Overseers to vote on the plan, too.

CRIMSON Idea

The idea for the vacation arose almost simultaneously with the CRIMSON and the Student Council. The CRIMSON ran an editorial advocating a mid-year vacation, and the Council passed a proposal for the vacation. The Faculty Committee on Educational Policy recently voted unanimously in favor of the idea, thus sending it to the Faculty for yesterday's consideration.