Freshman Union Committee Moves for Smoker Abolition

Need Amendment

By Richard T. Cooper

The Freshman Union Committee last night unexpectedly followed the recommendations of its own Smoker Investigation Committee and voted 18 to 4, with two abstaining, to move for immediate and complete abolition of the Smoker.

The Committee this morning will post an amendment to the Union Committee constitution which would eliminate election of a Smoker Committee and thereby eliminate the Smoker itself.

The proposed amendment must be posted in the Union for 15 class days during which period the Committee must receive all class opinions; at the end of the 15 days, the Committee, not bound by class opinion, will vote again, a two-thirds majority of the membership being required for eliminating the Smoker.

The Union Committee narrowly voted into existence a sub-committee to steer the amendment process, but finally killed a motion requiring this steering committee to poll class opinion.

Loaded Committee

Union Committee chairman Mark Earl circumvented the opponents of an opinion poll by loading the five-man steering committee with supporters of the poll. Karl's maneuver paid quick dividends, as the sub-committee voted, in a quick session following adjournment, definitely to canvass the class.

Vocal opposition also quashed a second half of the main motion-to-abolish, which would have provided for a substitute class function of an unspecified nature.

Scott's words were considered to be in line with the unofficial but generally accepted views of F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr., Dean of Freshmen.

Despite a decisive majority supporting the abolition amendment, the required two-thirds majority may be difficult.

"We have the chance of a lifetime, a chance to remove the stench of the Smoker from coming classes," declared Fred Sander '59, who opposed the canvass, emphasizing the apathy and ignorance of the class.